It’s awful. I was so excited to start this process, but now I absolutely can’t wait for it to be over. I’m a planner. I like being able to control things, make plans and execute them. I’ve quickly realized that control is not possible through this process, and that patience, flexibility, and open-mindedness is key.
Here is the thing. I’m not a patient person. I don’t like surprises or the unknown. As a result, I feel as if I’ve turned into a Tasmanian Devil, or Stitch, or one of those purple Minions from Despicable Me 2.
I know my stress level right now isn’t entirely due to this house hunting process. My company just laid off quite a few people from my department this week, including individuals on my team. It was a devastating loss, and will mean massive changes for me. Little old me, at the ripe age of 25 can now say that she’s survived 2 rounds of layoffs and outsourcing.
Then there is the question of the house we’re currently renting. This house is being put on the market very soon, and the ticking clock is wearing at me, as is the realization of how much work it will be to make sure the house is in good shape to be shown. I have a new respect for people who sell their home, it certainly isn’t an easy time!
These reasons, combined with the week we’ve had house hunting, is the reason why I feel like a monster.
I didn’t realize how quickly things change when you’re looking at houses. Here was our week:
Saturday: Saw 3 more houses, one with lots of potential but no garage. Started seriously considering putting an offer on the home.
Sunday: Find out previous issues with an inspection on said home, start looking for information on issue, cost to repair, etc.
Monday: Seller decides to pull house off the market and we’re back to square one.
Tuesday: House we previously loved but had a contract on it already is back on the market, went to go see it, but it’s a huge disappointment
Wednesday: Keep searching/Waiting
Thursday: Find a new house to check out, see it that evening, put an offer on it!
Friday: Sellers make counter offer, but want to close end of June due to them building their own home. Of course, this conflicts with our plans to move out in April due to the current house going on the market. A few more counter offers made by both sides.
At this point, we dare to hope that this is almost over! We’re hoping to have a contract by the end of the day today, then we can set up the inspection and appraisal, start shopping for insurance, and get our documents together for our mortgage! We’re not out of the woods yet, I know a lot can happen from here. I’m just praying my stress level goes somewhat back to normal.
Wishful thinking? Stay tuned.